Misadventures in Babysitting
|Air Date||April 6, 2001|
|Written by|| David Blum|
|Directed by||Mark Rosman|
|Previous||Aaron Carter's Coming to Town|
When a babysitter cancels on the McGuires, Lizzie suggests that she's old enough to do the job for her brother Matt, but mom and dad say no. After much persuasion from Lizzie they relent, and Miranda and Gordo also come over to help. After Mr. and Mrs. McGuire leave, Matt generally causes havoc, spilling grape juice on the rug, acting bratty and taking advantage of Lizzie, who badly wants to impress her parents with her responsibility.
Miranda and Gordo aren't much help as they won't follow Lizzie's orders either. At the restaurant Sam McGuire wants to sneak home and check on his daughter and son; Jo doesn't like the idea, but says just don't let them see you. Meanwhile at the house, Matt has knocked out the power. Mr. McGuire tries to peer in the window and goes tumbling over. The kids think he's a burglar and call the police. Mr. McGuire tries to get in the locked house and the kids wage a battle against him reminiscent of the movie Home Alone. The police come to arrest Sam. After all is straightened out, Lizzie's parents apologize for not trusting her.
- This episode was filmed from October 15 - 19, 2000.
- Sam mentions that Matt is 10 years old.
- Mike McGaugthy portrayed the stunt double for Sam McGuire.
- Kate wears her hair straight and down in this episode.
- This episode was based on the 1990 smash hit film Home Alone (which stars Macaulay Culkin as Kevin McCallister).
- When trying to find a babysitter for Matt and Lizzie, Mr. McGuire remarks, "Where's Mrs. Doubtfire when you need her?", which references the 1993 film Mrs. Doubtfire (where Robin Williams plays a divorced father who disguises himself as a nanny in order to be with his children).
- When Miranda had just put some music on and Gordo was coming into the room saying raccoons wouldn't stay for her singing, you can see an X on the floor where he stops at.
- Miranda sings a terrible off-key version of "My Country 'Tis of Thee" here, even though it's shown in "Random Acts of Miranda" that she's actually a good singer. Perhaps she was just trying to raise a ruckus to help scare off whoever or whatever was outside, but good singers usually would balk at purposely singing badly no matter what the reason.
- When Matt is eating the popsicles, there is very little of the purple mess around his mouth that we see just a few seconds later after he's finished them.
- Matt holds up a book on the end of a vacuum cleaner nozzle, but when the power goes out, the book doesn't fall to the floor like it should, but instead stays on the nozzle, even when Matt drops it.
- When Matt spills grape juice on himself, Gordo agrees to taking him upstairs to get a clean shirt. But when he comes back, you can still see the juice on Matt's shirt.
- After the opening credits when Miranda and Lizzie are in the lunch line, Lalaine (Miranda) delivers her first line and starts to grin, then looks at the camera for a moment as if she expects the director to say, "Cut!”, but he doesn't and the scene goes on.
- Kate's last name is pronounced like "Saunders" instead of Sanders with a short "a" sound like it is spelled and has been pronounced in the past.
- Lizzie mentions that Miranda has a baby sister. However, the supposed sister had never been mentioned before, and was never mentioned again.